Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bat for Lashes - Horse & I

You're the chosen one
There's no turning back

"
Horse and I" is what got me into Bat for Lashes, the stage name for Natasha Khan, a Pakistan-born artist & musician from England. Often clad in Native American inspired attire, it is unanimously agreed upon by bloggers that she sounds very Bjork-ish. During live performances she is accompanied by 3 other multi-instrumental female musicians. According to her bio on her website:
"It was whilst working as a nursery school teacher, following her university degree in film and music, that Fur and Gold album opener 'Horse & I' came to Natasha in a dream. Inspired by tales of Joan of Arc, Natasha is woken by a black horse at the window and sent on a fateful quest. This extraordinary dream became the muse for the songs that now comprise Fur and Gold."
That's almost as bad as Mars Volta's fourth album being inspired by a ouija board. But who am I to judge? Whether all of that is true or not is irrelevant I suppose. What counts is that her debut is a solid listen all the way through. And I'm not the only one who seems to think so. Apparently her fan base includes Devendra Banhart, Jarvis Cocker, and hey, even Bjork. Thom Yorke has "Horse and I" on his iTunes Top Ten Playlist and has said, "I love the harpsichord and the sexual ghost voices and bowed saws. This song seems to come from the world of Grimm's fairytales, and I feel like a wolf." ... What he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment