Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Interpol - Wrecking Ball

Nobody told you that I could just walk through
And shake up your style

Our Love to Admire
,
Interpol's third full length album, but first to be released through a major label, explores a more expansive and atmospheric sound. Whether this grandiose change in sound is an improvement is up to the listener. I can say, however, that it does feel as though the songs are drawn out at times. Despite all that, I love Interpol and I still enjoy listening to this album. If anything, I hope it's a sign that by their fourth album they'll have mastered this new sound and give us an actual "new and improved" Turn on the Bright Lights because you definitely hear echoes of it in this one.

"
Wrecking Ball" is a perfect example of this "new" sound. Filled with all sorts of instruments and sounds, the song changes and stretches into some sort of epic orchestration. The following closing track, titled "The Lighthouse," takes this to a whole new level. Lyrically, Paul Banks manages to remain discreet, requiring the listener to "read between the lines." So make what you will of it.

"
The Heinrich Maneuver," also off this album, has seemed to acquire a lot of admiration. Not only has it been remixed several times but can also be found on Strung Out on Indie Rock--a collection of indie cover songs by a string quartet.

P.S. - Lead singer, Paul Banks, fell in love with hip hop before he ever got into rock. Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A. is what did it for him. Nirvana is what changed him.

P.P.S - Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino has a
side project with Adam Franklin of Swervedriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment