Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

I could put my arms around every boy I see
But they'd only remind me of you

The ultimate goal of "Daily Eargasm" is to recommend or highlight good songs. So ultimately you have one of those "Songs You Must Hear Before You Die" type books, but in a blog (and with links so you can actually hear the song). Not to mention that it's completely free! So even though I try my best to pick songs that are somewhat new or that you most likely haven't heard, I'm occassionally going to also pick songs that you most probably have heard. This isn't to piss you off, although I apologize if I do. But simply to take some time and give credit to those who created hit songs. And not necessarily hit songs, but good hit songs. If you've been following my blog from the beginning, you'll know that I've done this already but I thought this time around I'd explain myself a bit. So there you have it. ANYWAY ...

"
Nothing Compares 2 U," by Sinéad O'Connor is definitely one of these hits. For those who don't know, the song is actually a cover of a Prince composition, which never actually made it onto any of his own albums. What really makes this song so great for me is the music video. Firstly, I hadn't seen many, if any, bald female singers up until that point (insert Britney Spears joke). Secondly, the video is almost entirely focused on her face making it both very intimate and intense. Because here is this woman who is clearly hurt (thanks to her drummer and father of her child) and pouring her heart out to you. The feelings are clearly genuine and you even see a tear run down her face at the end. The music isn't particularly amazing, but the vocals and lyrics make up for it. I think it's the latter that really makes this song hit home for anyone whose ever been heartbroken.

"Nothing Compares 2 U" had the highest chart level performance of any song in 1990. Sinéad O'Connor is still performing live around the world and has written songs for the TV series "Bones," a French movie and other various soundtracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment