Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Dinosaur Jr. - What If I Knew

Waiting, fading, contemplating all my love
Penetrated by a wasteland I've become

If you haven't heard of
Dinosaur Jr., it's not that surprising; even though the band has been around since the mid-'80s. Unlike their counterparts of the time (the Pixies, Nirvana, etc.), Dinosaur Jr. managed to always remain in the sidelines, never quite making it in the limelight. This isn't because they weren't good but had more to do with lead singer/guitarist J. Mascis. Cult followers of the band place Mascis on a pedestal, but he was never quite comfortable or happy with fame. By the late '90s, Mascis decided to break up the band (originally named Dinosaur until sued by a band by the same name). He launched his solo career under the moniker J. Mascis + The Fog. It was a brief career due to a severe accident while on tour in Sweden which resulted in two cracked vertebrae.

Beyond is the bands first album released two years after their reunion, but their 8th LP to date. After reuniting in 2005 to play some live shows, fans everywhere were surprised to hear that they would be releasing another album. Even more surprising (and most probably a relief) was how well received Beyond was. I think anyone whose ever been a fan of a musician/band that's returned after a break-up knows that it can be both exciting and nerve-wrecking when anticipating the album. There's always the fear that it might be a complete flop and you'll wish they'd have left things as is. Or in the words of Neil Young, "Burn out, not fade away."

"
What If I Knew," off of Beyond, isn't necessarily the best track on the album. It's just one I picked at random to share because I had difficulty picking "the best." The vocals remind me somewhat of Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows, which I think is a good thing.

Favourite Part: Mascis' signature guitar style filled with distortion and feedback, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment