Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Portishead - Glory Box

I'm so tired of playing
Playing with this bow and arrow

I'd like to start off by explaining that yesterday's post on Estate's "Let Her Know" has been removed due to some violation of copyright infringement. I was informed via email and am not going to bother rewriting it but simply move on. I have added a disclaimer on this page informing all those who view it that I do not, by any means, advocate piracy and am simply here to provide a means for you to hear songs. Basically, free promotion for the artists. I still encourage that you legally purchase music. I know I still do. I just dig those compact jewel boxes. Anyway ... moving on.

I am by no means an expert or avid listener of "trip-hop," but find that I really like Portishead and want to further explore the genre. For those who aren't familiar with it at all, it's best described as experimental downtempo music with elements of jazz, soul, and funk and has a very ambient sound to it. Popular examples, other than Portishead, are Massive Attack, Tricky and U.N.K.L.E. Named after the shipping town near Bristol, England where one of the band members grew up, Portishead is said to have "popularized" trip-hop with the release of their debut album--Dummy. I think this is a great album and I highly recommend it. It's definitely one of the more accessible trip-hop albums for those who are new to it.

Prior to releasing their first LP, members Geoff Barrow and Beth Gibbons made a short film titled To Kill a Dead Man. It was some espionage type film, which is interesting because when listening to Dummy you often feel like your listening to a soundtrack to a spy film or James Bond. "Glory Box," from this album, was their second single and was featured in the film When The Cat's Away. It's also total baby making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment