Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Brightest Diamond - Workhorse

Cause you're no good to us
Lost all your youth

What initially stood out to me about Shana Worden of My Brightest Diamond were her vocals. A classically trained vocalist and talented musician, Worden's songs contain elements of rock, classical and cabaret styles of music. Obvious comparisons are artists like Bjork & Kate Bush but I still find originality in My Brightest Diamond. After all, it's expected when you have someone who was raised by a National Accordion Champion-winning father and an organist for a Pentecostal church; who studied opera at the University of North Texas; and who then moved to New York City and found herself delving into the depths of the underground rock scene.

"Workhorse" is off her debut album--Bring Me the Workhorse. Prior to this album, Worden toured with Sufjan Stevens as cheerleading captain for his "Illinoisemakers." After this tour she set out to record her own music under the moniker, My Brightest Diamond and released her debut on Steven's Asthmatic Kitty in 2006.

Favorite Part: I like the elements of trip hop. I really feel like this could be a Portishead song.



BTW: If you haven't checked out the Dark Was the Night compilation you really should. It's an amazing collection of tracks by, well, a lot of amazing artists! Plus, all proceeds go to benefit the Red Hot Organization which is dedicated to raising money and awareness for HIV and AIDS. One of my favorite songs on there is My Brightest Diamond's cover of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good." Thanks to the site I was able to make the following widget so you can check out my top 3 tracks:

No comments:

Post a Comment