Indefinite Hiatus

I am saddened to say that I will have to put my blog on an indefinite hiatus due to the fact that I currently have more than I can handle on my plate. I want to thank everyone that has ever visited this blog. I hope I have pleasured your eardrums.

You may continue to follow me on Twitter, where I will still post song recommendations and links to any other cool music related news/songs/etc. I will also continue to be a guest-blogger on Pretty Much Amazing! The Music Blog.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Devendra Banhart - Seahorse

I wanna be a little seahorse

Growing up, in Venezuela and Los Angeles,
Devendra Banhart was always playing music and drawing. While at the San Francisco Art Institute, Devendra began recording music on cheap four-track machines until, with some encouragement from his friends, he decided to submit some demos. Fast forward some 5+ years and Devendra has already released his fifth album--Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon. Often seen dressed in drag, Devendra is not only straight but has a personal and professional relationship with Natalie Portman. This, however, is totally besides the point. The point is: he's brilliant. I suppose I should justify this statement ...

His albums, albeit "weird" to some people, cover a wide range of styles. His singing even alternates from English to Spanish. But this isn't why he's good. It's because he does so in a way that is his own. In a way that isn't trite or corny, but actually enjoyable to listen to. A perfect example of this is the track "
Seahorse." Over 7 minutes long, the song changes at least 3 times to fit any and all moods. Plus, who wouldn't want to be a seahorse? Just look at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment